Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Changes

This will most likely be the only post I make for a couple of weeks. We move to our new house next Wednesday, and that is also Riley's last day of school, so things are busy, busy, busy!

Taking a bit of a break from where I last left off in my "story". A lot of the time when I'm reading about GDD, I questions like "what if your child didn't have GDD? If you could change it, would you?"  Most of the time, people answer with things like "no, i love my child no matter what, and this is who they are".

I often wonder how much of that statement is true, or if they just feel like that is the "right" answer to give. Cuz me, if I could take away my son's GDD, I would do it in a heart beat. If Riley was able to tell us all his thoughts, feelings, fears, etc, that would be the best thing in the world. I would gladly give up all our stresses, for those of a parent with a "normal" child. I would love to stress about hockey playoffs, sleepovers at friends, summer camp, kissing girls, and sneaking out to hang with his friends.

You know, I don't think that GDD has made Riley who he is anyway. Sure, it has affected him greatly, but I'd like think that my husband and I responsible for making Riley who he is. I think we have something to do with his humour, his kindness, his good manners, his love of music, tomatoes, bread, the outdoors, and so much more. GDD has made Riley more innocent, and I love that, and how the simplest things make him happy, but I can't help but think of how much MORE he could be without it. A life without GDD would be fabulous, my little man could do anything.

So, if it makes me a bad mom for wishing that I could change my child, for wishing that he could have the same opportunities as his peers, for wishing that he had his own voice, then I guess that's what I am. And you know what? I'm perfectly fine with that :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment